Reviewing the top 7 Email marketing services for beginners.
If you are someone who is trying to start an online business, you should also know about email marketing.
So whether you are a small business or an early stage blogger or even an online consultant, you should learn how to harness the power of email marketing.
But, Why should you learn email marketing?
Because it is one of the most powerful ways to make more money and increase more engagement with your audience.
And if you are not using it, you are losing it out BIG time.
It’s like leaving MONEY on the table.
In fact, I get a lot of people telling me that you should FOCUS on social media instead of emails.
I do accept that social media is great but email marketing is much more powerful in comparison.
A lot of recent reports have suggested that email marketing is way ahead of social media in terms of results. In fact, there was a study done recently which showed that in comparison to social media; Email marketing gives an average of 4300% ROI.
As a small business, you can generate more money using emails.
But the problem is most business owners confuse Newsletters with Promotional emails.
Promotional emails are the one that you get from Amazon. The ones where they send you email for Sales and Product suggestion.
The type of emails Amazon and other shopping sites send are transactional emails. They are different from newsletters.
Small businesses can leverage email marketing by writing personalised emails. Emails that speak to their audience one on one as if someone is writing a letter to their audience.
The engagement on those emails will be much higher and the best part is they can be done on autopilot mode.
Getting good at email marketing is the first thing all small businesses should focus on.
And a key part of it is choosing the right email marketing service
But the amount of information out there can be confusing.
A lot of my friends and people who I know simply want to start with the best and the most advanced tools that are out there.
But sadly when it comes to buying and using tools for online marketing, you can’t go in for advanced tools straight away.
It’s like going to the gym for the first day and attempting 100 Kg Olympic lifts.
(Sane Advice: Don’t lift 100 kg on your first day.)
It doesn’t work that way.
Start small and focus on other important areas of your business instead of buying the most advanced and best service out there.
Advanced tools come with a lot of hidden costs which early users might not be comfy in paying.
And that’s specifically the reason I have chosen to write about the best email marketing services for bloggers and small businesses.
WHY CHOOSING THE BEST EMAIL MARKETING SERVICE IS IMPORTANT?
While collecting emails is easy, managing your email list is the hard part.
And that’s where the Email marketing service provider comes in. You need to find the right balance of right price with the right set of features, and a potential to scale up from basic to an advanced stage.
Now the problem with a lot of basic levels email marketing software is that they are great at sending emails but they might lack in other advanced features like list segmentation, list tagging, autoresponder, list nurturing and a host of other things.
Ideally, a good email marketing service should help you in sending emails, list management, subscriber segmentation, email analytics and the most important feature of them all is that a good email marketing service will never let your email go in the spam section.
Read the review and decide which one is the best for you.
Aweber is one of the most popular & widely used email marketing services among bloggers and small businesses. It is one of the oldest and the most reliable service out there.
Back when I started working in the online world Aweber was the first service that I used and I instantly fell in love with it.
The reason is that it makes your task easy as a beginner. Everything happens like a breeze. Their design is slick & smooth.
Their design is very slick and you’ll experience that during the sign-up process itself. Another reason a lot of bloggers prefer it is because it has plugins for WordPress as well which are available in the WP store.
As a blogger having an Email Service provider plugin can help you in collecting emails on autopilot using their sign- up form.
If you go into their library you will see that they have a lot of email templates, Sign-up form templates, List segmentation features, List tagging, Autoresponder sequence and Email tracker which will give you insights on your email campaigns.
Their support is available 24/7/365 through chat, ticket system, email and phone calls.
They also have a huge library of support material, Weekly webinars, Q & A’s How To’s, Tutorials, Forums and Video courses.
In my opinion, if you are a beginner, then Aweber is the best thing to start with. Also, it is a good choice if you are planning to scale your email marketing efforts.
- 150 + templates to choose from.
- Powerful integrations like Paypal, WordPress, Eventbrite and much more.
- Easy Segmentation using the list management tool to see opens, clicks, opt-ins, double opt-ins and even what pages the user has visited.
- Custom HTML option for writing emails.
- Lack of survey features.
- No integration with Google analytics.
- Not good for advanced email marketing.
Aweber starts with $19/ month for 500 subscribers. Check out their pricing page here
If you want to take their 30-day risk-free trial, click here to sign up.
In the world of email marketing, MailChimp is considered as the most popular service provider.
Because it’s free to join for first 2000 subscribers.
They have the best looking UI and design among all email marketing companies out there, and that design thinking reflects in their whole product.
The moment you sign up you’ll see that everything looks pure from the inside. The buttons, Options and menus are simple and intuitive which even a high school graduate can learn in a matter of minutes.
A good part about Aweber is that it has a lot of integrations and partnerships going with a lot of companies like Shopify, WordPress, Magento and lots more.
Recently they started with their ad making platform which integrates with Facebook, Twitter and Instagram ad creation tools within the MailChimp.
You can create emails, Sign up forms using simple drag and drop builders. Another interesting features I love about MailChimp is it’s timed email release. For instance, if you have scheduled an email to go at 9 am Monday and you have subscribers from all over the world. The emails will be delivered according to the time zones of the subscribers.
Features like these make it really cool to use.
They have support available through email, chat and ticket support system which is available 24/7/365. But their advanced level of support is not available with the free package.
It offers 2000 subscribers with 12,000 free email quota per month which means 6 emails per subscriber. Once you go beyond that then you need to pay $10 for their package.
Again, it’s a great product for someone who is tight on budget and doesn’t want to send a lot of emails to their audience.
6 emails per subscriber per month is a good interval for getting engagement.
- 400 plus templates to choose from
- Drag and drop email editor makes it easy to edit and write emails
- Mobile optimised templates with custom HTML coding as well.
- Loads of APIs ranging from Salesforce, Paypal, Google Analytics, Shopify, Freshbooks, SurveyMonkey and much more.
- Detailed Email reports.
- You can’t send one campaign to every many subscriber lists.
- You won’t get the free autoresponder in the free version.
Free for 2000 subscribers with 12,000 emails every month as your quota. Apart from that their paid plans start from $10 a month. All their paid plans have unlimited emails as part of their features.
If you want to take their free package, click here to sign up
Getresponse has been around on the email marketing circuit since 1999. I know a lot of people who use Getresponse as an email marketing tool for their blog.
In fact, you can even find Neil Patel recommending their service on their YouTube channel. But I think that’s just a sponsored review.
If you try to sign up for their trial version you’ll notice it has some of the best automation features among all entry-level email marketing software.
In the starting you will find it irritating to understand it but once you set up the autoresponder sequence. It works like an Autopilot system on an aeroplane.
They have a drag and drop builder like Aweber & MailChimp using which you can create campaigns, manage your list, read email reports and do a host of other things with it.
They have lots of options for opt-in forms, landing pages, Split Testing, Email tracking and autoresponders.
Recently they have got good at their integrations as well. They have been doing good work with companies like Optinmonster, Salesforce, Zendesk, Google Docs and so much more.
They have excellent 24/7/365 support through email, chat, ticket system and calling facility. Their support section has amazing tutorials, webinars and How-To material (including videos, images and text format)
- Autoresponders facility
- Drag and drop email editor
- 1000+istock Photos.
- Responsive email design that works great on the web, mobile, tablet and app.
- Video email marketing
- List building program.
- Email builder is tacky: While the result is great but the process to create emails is difficult. It’s good but not as good as Aweber and MailChimp.
- List segmentation: While I love their feature of list segmentation in GetResponse, but it’s not like what you have in MailChimp where it can segment the list by picking the IP address. I am not complaining but it would be great if that could happen, the email delivery would become sharper and on time.
- Restrictive Automation: While GetResponse offers a great set of features for its pricing but when it comes to automation it falls short in that department.
The whole idea behind buying an autoresponder is to automate the emails and let it happen on its own. While they do have an autoresponder but the features on it are too less when compared to the competition.
All in all, you get 7 rules with their autoresponder. I mean if they have to beat the likes of Aweber and MailChimp they need make big changes in this area.
It is $4 cheaper than Aweber. They offer a 30-day trial as well with their entry-level package starting at $15 for 1000 subscribers.
If you want to take their 30-day free trial, click here to sign up
4) CONSTANT CONTACT
Constant Contact is one of the oldest and best-performing email marketing services now. They have been around since 1995 and have done decent work since then.
I have used constant contact regularly for about and year and have found that it is one the easiest email marketing service when it comes to deployment.
You can manage your email list, sending & create emails using email builder (choosing templates or going HTML route), track emails and do much more in constant contact.
Its excellent email analytics dashboard will give you data more than what the competition is giving now. And using those same analytics you can fix your email campaigns to get more performance out of them.
Along with it, you’ll also get the 2 Gb worth of files for your personal use where you can store videos, images and text which you can attach to your emails.
Their support is equally excellent with live chat, ticket based system, How to material and forums where you can get endless support for their offerings.
You’ll also get an invitation to their personal webinars where you can learn how to get the best out of your emails and improve on a lot of other things. You’ll get access to them for free.
I think it’s a great choice for small businesses and bloggers but I would still not rate it above Aweber for its simplicity and ease of maintaining the list.
They have a 60-day free trial facility and post that their offering starts for $20/ Month.
- Best in the industry support and weekly webinar facility.
- 60 day free trials.
- Apis help you in syncing all your important business tools.
- Option to create Grouponlike local deals.
- Hard to work around the dashboard.
- Delivery is not a very strong feature of constant contact.
- Their core offering isn’t that great because they have spread themselves too thin because of adding too many features.
60 day free trial with $20 as the starting package for 500 subscribers.
If you want to take up their 60-day free trial, click here to sign up.
5) CAMPAIGN MONITOR
Campaign monitor is an old email marketing service. Although they are good but it feels as if they missed the bus in the slew of new email marketing providers.
They have decent features like drag and drop tools as their basic package. The good thing about their service is that a lot of features that other companies offer in their advanced packages or as extra paid add-ons, Campaign Monitor offers them in their basic entry level version.
Advanced things like sending emails based on subscriber behaviour, time, segmentation, geolocation, Social sharing of the newsletter, Split testing, email tracking and subscriber behaviour analytics and tagging are available in campaign monitor.
You can also personalise your message to the whole list which helps you in improving opens and increasing engagement with your audience.
They have an excellent support team which is available 24/7/365 through email, ticket system, chat, phone and Skype facility (on special occasions of screen sharing help etc)
- They don’t have any setup fee for any package that you buy, in fact, they’ll help you with implementation if you are getting stuck anywhere.
- They have automated unsubscribe functionality where if a user doesn’t want to get any emails all they have to do is click once and they’ll be unsubscribed from the list.
- Plug and play facility: All their Apis and integrations are seamless and easy to use, so much so that they are single-click options with all the integrations and support around them is easily available within their system.
- Customizable HTML emails are not available.
- You need to pay extra money to see how your email will look like in a certain email client inbox.
- Can’t increase the font size beyond 16
Their pricing starts at $9/ month for 500 subscribers for up to 2500 emails per month.
If you want to check out their offering, click here to see their features and pricing page.
7) ACTIVE CAMPAIGN
Active campaign is a powerhouse. It combines emails, CRM and sales automation.
They have beautiful drag and drop builder which will help you in creating an amazing looking sign up forms which are mobile responsive in design.
It will help you in improving your email marketing by providing you more data about subscribers using intelligent analytics, something which can be only found in advanced high-end service providers.
Another cool feature which they have is text message facility within the system where you can send messages to your audience.
They have really cool integrations with a lot of apps including WordPress being the most used one.
The good thing about them is that you can request a demo account with limited features to see whether you can live with a paid version or not.
Because their paid version is costly as compared to other Service providers in the market. But if you are looking for total email marketing solution, then it’s a good option.
- Easy to use UI: For the kind of complex marketing and customer-oriented tasks it can do, it is one of the easiest marketing automation tools out there. The UI is intuitive and even a beginner will be able to learn it in a matter of weeks.
- Zapier Integration: Using Zapier you can integrate over 150 APIs that will help you in getting more leverage in terms of customer information and tasks related to customer journey.
- Email Builder: Their email builder is very complex to use. The whole website and other tasks are easy to understand but their email builder and CRM interface is lagging behind.
- Costly integration: While they do have about 150 Plus integrations that work on their system, a lot of these integrations are paid which removes away the benefit of being low priced email service provider.
Their pricing also starts from $9/ month a month for 500 subscribers.
If you want to check out their offering, click here to learn more.
Drip is the perfect thing for someone who has info course and wants to sell them to their audience. It helps you in segmenting and managing your list in the most effective way possible.
Recently Drip got acquired by Leadpages where they have started integrating Leadpages with their audience using drip as a tool.
And ever since they have been going really aggressive on their features and updates. Another strange thing which I have heard about Drip is that it gets you higher opens and less spam delivery.
Which means that the emails land straight in your inbox and that itself increases your open rates.
But overall it is an easy peasy software for bloggers and authors.
- Automation: It helps you in tweaking your email strategy based on your subscriber’s behaviour.
- Goal tracking: It helps in tracking your email campaigns goals with respect to the subscriber’s behaviour in the funnel.
- Reporting: It does an excellent job in showing email reports and user behaviour reports.
- Support: They have excellent support but don’t offer one on one like active campaign does for its buyers.
- Pricing: Their entry-level package is free to use. After that, you need to pay, which again to me is expensive but if you are someone who is a second-time blogger and wants to start selling an info course then maybe you should consider it and sign up for free.
- Complexity: It will be not easy for new beginners or early bloggers to use it. That’s why it is more suited to old or mid-level bloggers who know a bit about list segmentation and funnel creation.
If you want to check out their offering, click here to learn more.
ConvertKit is one of the most advanced email marketing software out there. It has the power and advanced features of InfusionSoft (Read Daddy of Email Marketing) but with the ease of MailChimp.
It’s a complete marketing automation software which helps in creating funnels, lead generation pages and so much more.
If you choose to go with something like ConvertKit you won’t be needing any external service the way you need in the early stage email marketing software like MailChimp.
It is an ideal tool for bloggers who have been in the game for some time and are driving consistent traffic on their blog.
The best thing I love about them is once you have them you don’t need to buy a separate landing page tool. They have landing pages inbuilt in them.
Apart from having cool features, they have a White Glove sort of customer service where they’ll assist you for everything. Almost everything has been detailed in their tutorials. And if in any case, you get stuck you can hire a certified ConvertKit consultant just like Salesforce and InfusionSoft.
Now I know to a lot of people hiring a Certified consultant might sound like an cost, But if you are already in the game and have been doing email marketing and want to scale up your efforts. It’s good to check them out.
- It is a simple structure which anyone can follow.
- Don’t have to fret about learning technical stuff like Infusionsoft because it is already very simple once you step inside and have a look at it.
- It helps bloggers and authors keep a track of their subscribers by keeping a track of their journey in their system. So that you target them at the right time in their journey and close a sale. The system is intelligent enough to tell you when is the right time to close a sale with a particular subscriber.
- ConvertKit is so perfect that the only problem you could point out is price, but if you look at it from a mid-level blogger it justifies the prices point.
If you are an entry-level blogger then you won’t feel the price to be right but that’s okay it is not for entry-level bloggers.
If you are an early blogger, you can buy it for sure. But you won’t know how to make use of the advanced analytics and features it provides you.
Starts with $29 and doesn’t offer any starter package for free or even a month’s trial.
If you want to check out their offering, click here to learn more.
Why Do I Like Aweber & Why It Is The Best Email Marketing Service To Start With?
I have tested Aweber and have worked on it for about 3 years now. It’s one of the best Email marketing services to start with.
It has everything a beginner needs for email marketing. I think if you are someone who is starting out Aweber should easily take you to 5,000 subscribers.
Apart from usual features what I love most about Aweber is the advanced features it has. it has:
1) Autoresponders Sequence: You can set multiple autoresponders for multiple lists.
2) List Segmentation & Tagging: If you write content on different topics, the audience of one topic won’t receive emails about the other topics and vice versa.
3) Personalisation: It adds first name, location and host of other things automatically to the Email.
4) Email Analytics: It can integrate with Google Analytics and shows you the performance of your emails so that you can see how well they perform.
5) Email Builder: It has dozens and dozens of professional-looking templates and customer HTML styles which help you in creating beautiful looking emails with a simple drag and drop option.
6) Easy Sign Up Forms: You have options for choosing Sign up forms from its library or you can code on your own.
7) Split Testing: Ability to split test it emails, name, colour, call to action, Subject lines, images and lot of other things which eventually get you better at getting results from your emails.
8) High Delivery Rate: Extremely high delivery rate because of its spam checker facility.
9) Customer Support: 24/7/365 customer support through phone, chat and email.
10) Resources: Great support material for increasing your subscriber list.
But it’s not only these features that make Aweber great. The company believes so much in its product that they are offering the first month as a $1 trial.
If you don’t like it, you can simply hit the refund button and you’ll get your money back. What’s the worst that can happen?
At least you’ll see whether Aweber is right for you or not.
Even Neil Patel uses Aweber for one of his websites.
Another cool feature you’d want is autoresponder sequence. You won’t get an autoresponder sequence in any free software, it is always available in the paid ones.
And it is the best feature of owning an email service.
If you don’t know what an autoresponder sequence is then you should know more about it as it can make your life easy.
Autoresponder is basically a feature where you can set a sequence to send emails within a specified time frame.
Isn’t that cool? Basically, you don’t have to write welcome and follow-up emails to your new subscribers. Once you feed them in the system, then the system will take care of your subscriber on its own.
It comes with a $1 risk-free trial for one month. After that, you’ll have to pay $19 for up to 500 subscribers and the prices scale nicely to suit your needs.
My recommendation is to start with Aweber because it has been the best marketing service out there.
If you want to take their 30-day risk-free trial, click here to sign up.
But instead of wasting time on this, you should quickly choose a provider and move on to important things than to waste time on comparing and testing these tools.
Start focusing on more important activities for your business and get ROI from it.
Again, Don’t go for an advanced tool if you don’t need it.
Because you shouldn’t attempt lifting 100 kg on your first day to the gym.
But if you are looking for something advanced then you should definitely check out ConvertKit. After Aweber ConvertKit is the best choice IMO.
But that’s about what my recommendation is. What about you?
Which email marketing platform is your favourite? Know of another that’s not listed here?
Give me a shout out in the comments below!
(This post was imported into WordPress in one click using Wordable)